Our Historical Past
212 Madras Street is now one of the few remaining Victorian and Edwardian style warehouses which once characterised the city in the late 19th and early 20th Century. The Bains Building is not only of important historical significance but also is of considerable cultural and economic value to the inner city area.
In 2009 The Civic Trust presented an award for 212 Madras Street for the retention and refurbishment of a heritage building. The building was also awarded a "Heritage Retention Award" in 2012 by the Canterbury Heritage Awards Charitable Trust.
Completed as a warehouse in 1905. The architect, J.C Maddison, was well-known “for a great number of important buildings” throughout New Zealand and especially in the South Island. His other significant local buildings included the original Messrs J. Ballantyne and Company department store; Woods Mill in Addington; the “splendid” Kaiapoi Woollen Manufacturing Company’s offices and warehouse; the “new” Warners Hotel, as well as a private residence for Sir Westby Brook Perceval, M.H.R for Christchurch South. In 1879 Maddison had won first and second prize in a design competition for his Christchurch Town Hall plans and in 1887 was elected a Fellow of the Royal Institute of British Architects.
Opening in 2004, NG Boutique is situated on the ground floor alongside Lawn Interiors. New City Barbers is located at the back of the building, opening onto the carpark area. Upstairs offices represent creative industries including art, architecture and design.
Rock Hard Safety